All matches will be played in accordance with the FIFA Laws of the Game. Rules and/or interpretations provided by SCHSL in accordance with NFHS Standards.
GAME DURATION & FORMAT
- Games will consist of two (2) 25 minute halves with a 5 minute halftime.
- No extra time will be played in the first three contest for each team.
- Officials will keep official time on the field and there is no allowance for stoppage time.
- All games must begin precisely on schedule and the teams must be on the field ready for play at kick-off time. Any team not ready for play delaying the game start by 10 minutes will constitute an immediate forfeit for that team. This includes playoff games.
- Game Balls will be provided by the Home Team and must be within acceptable regulations deemed by the match officials. Size 5 only.
- Shin guards must be worn at all times by all players.
- A player is not allowed to wear any jewelry (earrings, watches, necklaces etc.)
- Medical tags and bracelets must be taped to the body.
- In the case of similar or identical jerseys, the designated home team (the team listed first on the schedule) will change jerseys.
- Players wearing casts or protective equipment are allowed to play with the approval of the referee.
TEAM FIELD POSITION
At Irmo Stadium, Home Team spectators will sit in the stadium stands behind their respective team. Visting Team spectators will sit on the opposite side of the home team. For the JV tournament at the practice fields; spectators will sit on the opposite side from players and coaches, but be separated by midfield. On the non-stadium fields, spectators will sit on the same side as their teams but be separated by midfield. Players/coaches for both team will be on the same side separated by mid field. All players/coaches and spectators must stay at least one yard behind the touchline when positioned on the field. Players/coaches are expected to stay in the general position of player/coach bench area.
PLAYER, COACH, & SPECTATOR BEHAVIOR
- All players, coaches and spectators are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the letter as well as the spirit of the Laws of the Game. The referees working the matches in the tournament are experienced and will apply the Laws as they interpret them in the flow of the matches. Player, coach or spectator dissent will not be tolerated and will be dealt with as necessary.
- Players, coaches or spectators ejected from a match will be banned (out of sight and sound of the playing area) from the team’s current and next scheduled match.
- Player, coaches and spectators ejected from a match for fighting may be banned from the remainder of the tournament by the Tournament Director.
- The Tournament Director reserves the right to ban any team from further competition if the behavior of the team’s players, coaches or spectators creates an atmosphere where further competition cannot take place within the letter as well as the spirit of the Laws of the Game.
- Each coach is responsible for the behavior of players, parents and spectators of their team.
FORMAT FOR PLAYOFFS
- Each team will play three games with a fourth game being a playoff game based on Division Standings.
- In a six team division, there are two groups of three teams. Teams play each team in their group plus one cross over game.
- At the end of the three games, the teams in each group will be ranked 1st, 2nd, 3rd. The teams will then play their opposite finisher from the other group.
- First in Group A will play First in Group B for the Championship. Second place finishers in each Group will play for Third and Third Place group finishers will play for Fifth.
- In a four team division, the first place team will play the second place team and the third place team will play the fourth place team.
- All playoff games will have the same duration as all previous games but cannot end in a tie. If teams are tied after regulation time, teams will play two 5 minute extra periods (no golden goal). If a winner is not determined, at that time, the game will be decided using Penalty Kicks in accordance with the FIFA Laws of the game format.
- Players must be on the field at the end of the game to participate in Penalty Kicks
Substitutes are unlimited, but made only at the following times:
- Throw in by team in possession
- Goal kick by either team
- After a goal
- At the beginning of an overtime period
- After a player receives a caution (yellow card)
- For any injured players
- All substitutions, should take place from the halfway line and substitutes should not enter the field until the player they are replacing has reached the touchline.
The referees and/or field marshals will report to the site headquarters after each match.
TOURNAMENT POINT SYSTEM
All preliminary divisional matches can end in a tie. At the conclusion of round robin and/or divisional play (including crossover matches), teams will be ranked in their playing group based on points earned from wins and ties only. Teams will be awarded points during divisional play based on match results as follows:
- 6 Points for a WIN
- 3 Point for a TIE
- 0 Points for a LOSS
- 1 point per goal scored up to a maximum of three points
- 1 point awarded for a shutout.
- 1 point deducted for any goal difference larger than 6.
- Examples: a 3-0 win accumulates 10 total points for the winner; a 5-2 win accumulates 9 points for the winner and 2 points for the loser. A 7-0 win results in only 9 points for the winner. NO BLOWOUTS.
Any situation in which two or more teams have the same number of points, the tie will be broken by using the following criteria in the following order, one after the other as needed:
- Most points
- Winner of head to head competition. If teams tied or split their matches, then; Goal Differential (Maximum + or – 3 goals/game). Example: 15–0 = 3-0 (+3); 8–1 = 4–1 (+3); 2–4 = 2-4 (-2)
- Fewest goals allowed
- Most goals scored
- Fewest points deducted.
- Coin toss by the Tournament director, or their delegate.
- The above procedures are taken one at a time until the tie is broken. If ties still exist among other teams, the process begins again with “step one”.
A forfeit shall be awarded if a team is not present and prepared to play within ten (10) minutes of its scheduled match time. The score for a forfeited match will be 3-0. If a team forfeits but still have enough points to advance, they will be allowed to advance.
THERE WILL BE NO PROTEST!!
INCLEMENT WEATHER OR OTHER UNCONTROLLABLE CIRCUMSTANCES
Regardless of weather conditions teams are expected to arrive for their scheduled match, failure to do so will result in a forfeiture of the match. Only the Tournament Committee can postpone the match. In the case of extreme weather the Tournament Committee may cancel any or all matches. If severe weather were to occur after the beginning of play the center referee or Tournament Committee, may reduce the length of the match or cancel the match altogether. Additionally, the Tournament Committee may reduce the length of the match by as much as 50% because of weather or field conditions. Should a match in progress be terminated due to weather or field conditions, the match will be considered official if at least the first half of competition has been completed. The score at that time will stand. For other matches, rescheduling attempts will be made as fairly as possible, considering referee and field availability and normal progress of the competition. As a final solution, it may be necessary to employ other means to determine the outcome of the match in which case the match will be scored 1-0. In cases of extreme heat, the Tournament committee shall mandate a water break for all teams. If this ‘water break’ order is issued, all referees will be informed that this is an across the board break for all teams participating.
FINAL INTERPRETATIONS &DECISIONS
The Tournament Director will make final interpretations of any and all tournament rules and/or tie breaking decisions.
Neither the Tournament Director nor Irmo high School are responsible for any expense incurred by any team in the event the tournament is cancelled, postponed, or suspended in whole or in part or in the event the matches are discontinued or cancelled due to reasons beyond our control.
The Tournament Committee reserves the right to combine age groups and/or levels of play in order to complete brackets if necessary.
Prior to the first game, each team must provide the mobile phone number of the coach and team manager, so that these individuals may be contacted if circumstances require it. Be sure the team contact is someone who can be reached at any time.
This is a competitive event, however, it is a developmental event. Please enjoy the games, encourage your children and most of all be good sports.